With the holiday season just a few weeks away, many people will be (if they haven't done so already) putting up Christmas lights and decorations on their home. While lights and decorations bring Christmas joy and the holiday spirit, there are many safety hazards that can occur.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind to have a fun and safe Christmas:
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor holiday lighting before going to bed.
- Never drape anything over a light bulb.
- Try to avoid using candles. If you do use candles, keep them away from your Christmas tree, wrapping paper, and anything flammable.
- Never leave an open flame unattended.
- Make sure all electrical items are certified by a recognized independent testing lab.
- Never nail or staple cords to the wall or baseboard. This can cause damage to the wire insulation.
- For outdoor lighting, make sure you seal connections with electrical tape. This will protect the lights from outdoor elements.
- Do not overload extension cords.
For more tips for your home's safety this holiday season, visit EFSi.