With these tips from the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC), you can easily reduce your energy consumption.
- Switch off an appliance when you are finished using it. For example, turning off your desktop instead of leaving it idle will save energy.
- Unplug seldom used appliances and appliances that don’t require being plugged in all day.
- Take control of temperature. In winter, set your thermostat to 68 degrees or less during the daytime, and 55 degrees before going to sleep (or when you're away for the day). During the summer, set thermostats to 78 degrees or more.
- Don’t forget to turn off the lights when leaving a room.
- Use appliances efficiently.
For a detailed description of tips provided by the NRDC, use the following link: http://www.nrdc.org/air/energy/genergy.asp