September is National Preparedness Month (NPM). This year’s NPM theme is Don't Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today.
Today is the start of Week 1 (September 1-5) of NPM. Week 1 covers flooding. With talk of El Nino returning to California, this will be a great topic to cover.
Here are some quick tips to prepare and plan for floods:
- Store at least a 3-day supply of water per person
- Store at least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food per person
- Have a flashlight
- Battery powered or hand-cranked radio
- Multi-purpose tool
- First Aid Kit
- Family and emergency contact information
- Copies of personal documents
- Extra cash
For the complete list of supplies and things to do during and after a flood, visit the Red Cross page.